www.flickr.com

Tom Greenthumb Gardening

Monday, March 20, 2006

Dill: Herb of the Week

Derived from the saxon word "dilla", which stands for "soothe", dill is my herb of the week. It's believed that this herb has a calming effect on the digestive tract, hence the "soothe" name derivative. Interesting, huh. This herb is one of the easier herbs to grow. I would highly recommend it for those herb enthusiasts just beginning plans for herb garden sites. With a flavor all it's own, dill is generally used with fish (olive oil and dill grilled on the barbeque), dips, on salads, or with soups. It's also used in pickling. I enjoy mine with a little yogurt sometimes as an accompaniment to a main course. No, I'm not Greek, but I love Greek food.

I usually plant my dill seeds early in cooler weather here in Washington State. I space my seeds about every four inches. This little guy is not easily transplanted. A full day of sun usually produces the best results for this plant though. I have never used it for medicinal uses. I believe it's best as a culinary compliment.

Say, butter...

Dijon Dill butter

  • 3/4 cup melted butter

  • 3 teaspoons dijon mustard

  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill

Combine ingredients until well blended. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home